The Mexican-American Sports Hall of Fame awards scholarships to high school senior athletes who will be pursuing higher education.
High school seniors, parents, coaches, administrators the 2024 scholarship applications submissions are due January 20, 2024. Application period opens September 1, 2023. We understand these are not large financial ‘changing your life’ scholarships but a recognition of your families efforts and acknowledgement of your high school students success!
The Mexican American Hall of Fame Sports Association honors student athletes that have excelled in sports and live in the Sacramento Metropolitan Area by awarding scholarships. These athletic scholarships are awarded to high school seniors involved in sports, who are doing well in academics and are already interested in or prepared to move on to higher learning.
Each year, student athletes are selected by our board members and trustees and awarded a $500 scholarship (maybe a little more) to help them with their transition to college or university learning. These scholarships are only possible with support from donors, sponsors, hall rental and fundriaising efforts.
The Mexican American Hall of Fame Sports Association is always looking for new community members and businesses to join us in our cause in helping student athletes in the Greater Sacramento area achieve their academic goals.
Click the Donate button at the bottom of the page to make a tax deductible contribution and support our fundraising efforts for scholarships. If you are a business owner, please visit our Sponsors page to learn more about businesses already supporting us and how you can get involved.
The Mexican American Hall of Fame Sports Association (MAHFSA) is a non-profit organization dedicated to recognizing and honoring Mexican-American student athletes in the Greater Sacramento Area. Annually, MAHFSA provides monetary awards to currently enrolled eligible student-athlete high school seniors to expand their higher education. To learn more about us visit us at our website at www.MahfsaSAC.org.
I. Eligibility Requirements:
1. Students must be of Mexican descent;
2. Must currently be active in sports;
3. Have a minimum GPA of 3.0 or higher; emphasis may be placed on the individual’s motivation, sincerity, and community involvement;
4. Currently enrolled as a full-time High School Senior.
5. Sacramento Regional School Districts
II. Application Instructions:
Application packages are available by visiting
mahfsasac.org/scholarships under the Scholarship Application tab or call (916) 421-1774 and leave a message.
1. Complete the application.
2. High resolution images (1 head shot; 1 in athletic attire).
*Submit only after notified for selection of scholarship.
3. Include a one-page essay. The essay format will be limited to one-page, Single Spacing, Arial Font 11 pt., (upper right corner 3 lines) Full name, High School Name, Athletic Sport(s). Choose one of the following questions for your essay:
- How has your family background affected the way you see the world and who was your most influential person (family member, coach, teacher) that inspired you?How did they make this fun for you to continue to pursue?
- Describe a challenge, hardship or misfortune you have experienced in your life.What have you learned from this and how has it prepared you for the future?
- Sports; The importance, understandings, passions & benefits of being an athletic youth starting college.
Mail or electronically file a complete application including the one-page essay to the address shown below. Application period September 1st, 2023. Applications must be post-marked by January 29, 2024 @ 11:59 P.M. deadline. If you would like confirmation of receipt of your application please let us know on your application. We cannot guarantee that an application will be accepted after the due date.
Mexican American Hall Of Fame Sports Association
Attn: Student Scholarship Program
2770 Fruitridge Road
Sacramento, CA 95820
Phone: (916) 421-1774
MAHFSA has complete authority in the selection and distribution of any and all funds given in behalf of a candidate.
All applicants will be notified of selection or denial by March 1, 2024 and Scholarship recipients will be honored and encouraged to participate at MAHFSA’s 50th Annual Inductee Dinner Dance and Student Athlete Scholarship Night ceremony, TBA.
III. Scholarship recipients will be based on several factors, such as:
- Does the applicant meet the minimum requirements?
- Is the application neat?
- Are all the required documents included?
- Are all of the questions answered and complete?
- Community Service.
- Creativity – if you play an instrument, write stories, paint pictures or act in plays, etc.
- Special circumstances—If you’ve overcome any obstacles to achieve your goals. Let us know how you achieved all that you’ve done, in spite of the roadblocks you’ve encountered.
- Double check grammar and spelling of all your documents
SCHOLARSHIP APPLICATION FORM
Please complete the application and submit with your essay. (Submit photos of yourself (1 head shot; 1 in athletic attire – please review past awardees) . The application packet must be received no later than January 20, 2024 and Awards will be made at MAHFSA’s 50th Annual Inductee Dinner Dance and Student Athlete Scholarship Night ceremony applications will be accepted if the package is incomplete.